Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Land of the Midnight Sun

Coordinates

This was one of the highlights of my entire time at sea.

Midsummer night at the North Cape (or Nordkapp) in Norway. This incidentally is the northern most point in Europe sticks quite far up into the Arctic circle. Summers are sunny for three months and winters are dark for three months giving it a high suicide rate. And obviously midsummers day being the longest day of the year makes it the most spectacular day to see it (Not the suicides...Hah you see, I'm not a writer).

The sun hits the horizon and starts coming up again, absolutely fantastic.



Midnight- Shade

It' s something you have to see to actually appreciate properly. I had worked a full day and was exhausted, but the more you stand out there the more energised you feel. It took me an hour to fall asleep that night.

There was a huge gathering of people and photographers, all die hards that had travelled from all over the world to witness this spectacular event.
We then headed home at about two in the morning, and saw reindeers on the way and a bit of snow, we had to stop and the rest of Europe laughed whilst seven South Africans played with "hard ice".
Ice in mid summer shows how cold it must be in mid winter.
Reindeer
Incidentally this is were you can see awesome Aurora Borealis's (huh) in mid winter, thats still on my to do once in my life list.
I am off to bed soon and will carry on soon. I am getting hooked..
Have a great week.